The church of Llanbadarn Trefeglwys, also known as Llanbadarn Fach, is a plain rectangular building of stone and plaster. It was rebuilt in 1856 and contains a single bell.
In 1833 Samuel Lewis (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales) described LLANBADARN - TRÊVEGLWYS as:
This parish, which is situated on the river Arth, formerly constituted one of the prebends in the collegiate church of Llandewy-Brevi, and was rated in the king's books at £12. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Kilkennin annexed, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £6, endowed with one-third of the tithes, and with £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Padarn, or Paternus.'
By 1895 this is what Kelly's Directory had to say about 'LLANBADARN - TRÊVEGLWYS':
The church of St Padarn is a plain rectangular building of stone and plaster, consisting of nave and turret, with spire, containing one bell. There are a 140 sittings. The register dates from 1719.'
The church was founded in the 6th century by bishop St. Padarn, one of the most
distinguished saints of Britain, after whom several churches are dedicated.
It is probably the Crucis Agam mentioned in his Life. He was the son of Pedrun
(Petronius) and the grandson of Emyr Llydaw.
The word Trefeglwys suggests an early Celtic monastic settlement which would have been presided over by an abbot.
In 1287 the church became a Collegiate Church having a Prebend at Bishop Beck's College at Llanddewibrefi.
The Reverend Thomas Huet, who assisted Bishop Richard Davies and William Salesbury in translating the Bible into Welsh, was Vicar from 1561 - 1599 when he was appointed Precentor of St David's Cathedral.
According to the Parish Register the Reverend Daniel Rowland, curate of Llangeithio, and one of the leaders of the Evangelical Movement in Wales preached in the Church on 22nd May 1737. His father had been Curate of the Parish in 1698.